Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Careers in writing

I am a teacher. I remember reading to my younger sister when we were tucked away in a neglected corner of my grandmother's house. I remember many people who still owe their high school diplomas to the kid who sat next to them. I recall when i first stepped into a writing center at a campus far away in time and space from where I am now. Those first steps marked many decisions later, decisions that have formed the ground that my conviction as a teacher stands. My concentration is composition and rhetoric, and that voice will carry my drive into the classrooms of many aspiring young near-collegiate minds.
I have examined the careers offered for writers, authors, and editors in the field of writing and have found both the prospects of the freelance writer and the grant writer appealing. The schedules are open; the projects are not nearly as driven or forced in commitment as to deprive students of a very willing instructor. While the benefits are non-existent in the literal sense, the prospect of notoriety in even a minor sense and the added income to that of an instructor should substantiate a serviceable living. Make no mistake, my drive is to teach.
I love the written word. I am challenged by the project that plays with concepts of voice, style, organization, and the employment of good rhetoric. My freelance writing will comprise short fiction, rhetorical analysis, and selected technical works for non-profits. When my work expands a bit, I will write grant for non-profits as an extension of this desire. All these projects will in turn proved the maintained practice and discipline to accurately teach marketable skills to prospective writers.

2 comments:

  1. I worked in restaurants way too long myself! Here's hoping that your burgeoning career as a writer will remove you further from the insanity of waiterdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes! The aspiring minds. Teaching is one of those professions that is (warning - major cliche ahead) soup for the soul. When you are passionate about what you teach it is apparent to the students and they want you to teach them how to love whatever it is you are teaching as well. Most of them anyway. ;0) There are always a few resistant members of the audience.

    I have had numerous teachers tell me that they hate writing, yet they are teaching children how to write. I never understood that. If you already have a love for words and that is what you are going to teach - students can't help but be inspired by that.

    If all else fails - having a name like Dr. Rocket can't hurt!!! :)

    ReplyDelete